Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Michael W. Smith Releases First Hymn Project

Just in time for the Easter season, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store announced the release of Hymns, Michael W. Smith's newest album, which will be available on March 24 exclusively at all Cracker Barrel locations and online at crackerbarrel.com & select digital retailers. This is the first time in his legendary career that Smith has recorded an album of traditional hymns, including many that he sang in church when he was young

"I first heard many of these hymns when I attended First Baptist Church in Kenova, West Virginia with my Mom, Dad, and sister Kimberly," said Smith. "The message of the songs combined with the timeless music helped build the foundation of my Christian beliefs. I have always wanted to record an album of hymns, and am thankful that Cracker Barrel Old Country Store wanted to share it with their guests."

The album features timeless Christian classics, with songs ranging in creation date from 1708 ("When I Survey the Wondrous Cross") to 1989 ("Wonderful, Merciful Savior"). The remaining thirteen songs were written between 1840 and 1953.