Sunday, April 12, 2015

Jimi Hendrix and the Greatest Guitar Player Ever: Phil Keaggy

World Magazine recently interviewed Phil Keaggy.

There is an urban legend that either Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix was asked what it felt like to be the greatest guitar player in the world to which they replied, “I don’t know. Go ask Phil Keaggy.”

I’ve heard that story before. Actually, the myth is more popular than I am, the urban legend that it is. No, it was never said by either of them. There are echelons of artists up there. Just like there are classic movies. Then you have “B” movies or you have unusual documentaries over there to the side. I’m kind of like an unusual documentary when it comes to my contribution because I’m just what I am, and I try to do the best I can at what I do. I want to thank God. I want to thank the people who have enjoyed and loved what I’ve done musically, artistically, and, hopefully, in a ministry sense, too.

The myth has nonetheless persisted and I think the reason is it’s one of those stories that could be true. Your fans hear your guitar playing and say, “It’s possible that Phil Keaggy might be the best guitar player in the world.”
I’m certainly one of the guitar players in the world, that’s for sure. When Jimi Hendrix was asked the question, “How does it feel to be the greatest player in the world?” He goes, “Let’s just say I’m the greatest guitar player in this chair.” He was pretty modest and humble about his own assessment of himself. Anybody who is a true musician knows they’re not the greatest at anything. ... The closer you are to the Lord, the more you realize what a sinner you might really, truly be. The closer you get to the light or the closer you get to becoming a great writer, the more you realize how little you know. I’ve always had a pretty realistic assessment of my own gifts and talents. I also know my limitations. I’m limited immediately. I have nine fingers, but I’ve learned how to do some finger style. I have my own picking style but I have a melodic style that I’m really grateful for. There have been times where I might have been driving or I’ll be walking the trails in the park. When I got the iPod on and I listen to books sometimes, and then I’ll let it shuffle into some music. Maybe an old song of mine will come up, maybe an instrumental piece. I’ll go, “Wow! Did I really do that?” I’m some kind of humbled by the gift of music by God. The gift to be able to make music, especially when you draw from a beautiful source. There’s all kinds of music and there’s music that shouldn’t be called music, but we don’t need to go there. Everybody has their tastes. I just know what I like, and I know what I love, and I know what I’m capable of. I don’t try to venture off into places I’m not at least experienced at.

Having been in the Christian music industry for more than 40 years, what’s different today than when you started? 
I’ll tell you what is consistent and what is not different today is the hearts of the artists. I’d rather talk about them than the people that have run the business of Christian music. … Back in the beginning, we didn’t set out to be “CCM artists.” The term didn’t even come until the late ’70s. I guess I would say the artists who love God and devote their music to Him and develop their music and are investing in that, those are the people that I really love. I think that’s what stayed consistent. I know artists who are really big names, and they’re some of the humblest people I know. Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, these guys are very successful—Amy Grant—just incredibly humble people. I can go down the list from those who are from the earliest days to those who I’ve gotten to know who are now popular. The main thing is the message because no one can really bank on a career in this. We were called to be proclaimers whether we do it with words or without words. We’re planted on this Earth to love God, to worship Him, to proclaim Him, and to love one another well. To me, that’s life right there. Love your families, love your husbands, your wives, your children, and if you’re blessed with grandchildren, which someday I’m looking forward to, someday, go for it. Love your neighbor. 

Read full article