Saturday, March 1, 2014

Josh Turner Writes Book on Fatherhood

Country singer Josh Turner has been a "Grammy nominee" and "multi-platinum recording artist." Now, he can add "author" to his list of accomplishments.

Turner's first book, Man Stuff: Thoughts on Faith, Family, and Fatherhood, will be published April 29 by Thomas Nelson.

"It's a book full of life lessons, life stories, from my experiences, things I've learned throughout my life, mistakes I've made," says Turner, whose hits include Long Black Train, Your Man and Time Is Love.

Turner says Thomas Nelson approached him about doing a book after People magazine named him the "Hottest Dad in Country Music" in 2011.

"People talk about songwriting being therapy, but, for me, it was great to not have to be hunched over a guitar or be trying to craft a melody along with the words," he says. "I just let the words flow and told stories."

The editing process, on the other hand, "was somewhat of a booger. You have to be really careful how you say things. You want to be able to say things the best you possibly can, to make sure people take the best possible lesson away from the story and not come across as preachy, coarse or harsh."

Duck Dynasty's Jase Robertson penned the book's foreword, writing, "Josh shares from his heart and experiences and is sincerely honest about how God uses us in our strengths, despite our weaknesses."

Turner says he got his advance copy Man Stuff this week. "I looked at my wife, Jennifer, the other night and said, 'Can you believe your husband has a book?' " Turner says. "She was like, 'Yeah, and I think you have more in you.' That made me feel good."