Tuesday, March 26, 2013

BJ Thomas Returns with Duets Release Featuring Richard Marx, Keb Mo and Others

B.J. Thomas is one of music's most versatile voices of all time. He's had success with pop, gospel, A/C, and country over the years. So, it's no surprise that his influence has cut a wide path over each of those formats. His new disc, "The Living Room Sessions," features duet performances with artists from many different genres. Thomas told Billboard that the idea to re-record his hits was something that he has long resisted.

One cut that brings those feel-good vibes is the classic "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song," a No. 1 hit for Thomas from 1975 on the country charts as well as the Hot 100. For the new version, Thomas was joined by Richard Marx.

"He brought so much to the track. I think it was a song that meant something to him back when it was a hit. We told him to pick what he wanted to do, and that was his choice."

Another treat for Thomas was pairing up with Lyle Lovett for his 1969 signature song "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head." Thomas said the song really fit Lovett's style.

"I've known Lyle for years, and he's such an iconic figure in music, and also as a person. He's from Texas, and I am too. I think Sandy asked me if I would be interested in him singing on this project, and I said I would love for him to. I spoke to him on the phone, and he said he had done some music with Burt Bacharach, and I said ‘Why don't you do ‘Raindrops?' I think he brought a lot to it. He's a cool guy to work with. I hope we do some performances in the future."

The impact of "Raindrops" - originally from "Butch Cassidy and  the Sundance Kid" is one that the singer still feels over four decades later – though it almost didn't happen.

"That was a life-changing record for me."

Each cut brought back a wave of memories for Thomas, especially 1970's "Most Of All," which features the vocal stylings of Keb' Mo'.

All in all, Thomas told Billboard it felt great going back in time, yet adding a new wrinkle to his past hits. "It's been unbelievable. I don't spend a lot of time thinking ‘Oh, these guys like my music,' but everyone that is on here, I so admire them as musicians and singers. It's very rewarding."

Read full article