Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Colton Dixon Opens Up on American Idol, Phillip Phillips, and Switchfoot

BreatheCast recently interviewed Colton Dixon on a wide-range of topics.  Here are a few highlights:

How did it feel to see Angie Miller perform your song, "Never Gone" on American Idol?
"First of all, she did a phenomenal job.  I still can't believe that it all happened so fast, it really just felt like I was on the stage yesterday and now a new season already and someone is singing one of my songs, it's just crazy, I can't even wrap my head around it.  It's cool to see what God is doing with this record and the different avenues He has been plugging it in.  So stoked for Angie, she has been doing so well and yea, like I said, she absolutely killed it.  Excited to see what she will be doing in the future." 

Do you keep in touch with anyone from American Idol?
"Yea, we all keep in touch pretty well actually.  If someone has something going on, they will group text us and we will catch up every once in a while.  I'd say the person that I was closest to was probably Phillip just because we have similar interests.  He was a believer as well so we were able to connect on that level.  We were trying to do the same things just with different genres of music.  He was just a great, humble guy and we try to keep in contact as best as we can with our busy schedules.  Phillip actually just announced a tour with John Mayer, so I'm a little jealous right now.  I'm gonna be one of those guys begging for backstage passes (laughs).  They are all doing really, really great.  It's cool to see the different avenues that music is taking them."


If you could collaborate with one Christian artist and one secular artist, who would you choose?
"That is so hard.  Man, I would love to collaborate with Jon Foreman of Switchfoot.  I actually just met him not too long ago, he's such a rad dude.  He promised me a surfing lesson so I'm looking forward to that.  On the secular side (pause), I think doing something with Jared Leto from 30 Seconds to Mars would be amazing.  Doing something with Coldplay would be amazing too.  Man, so many good artists.  I would say between those two artists."