Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kirk Cameron Excited to Combat 'Hollywood's Moral Filth and Darkness'

Kirk Cameron said in a recent interview that the opportunity to share the Gospel with Hollywood is "exciting."

"No, because my friends aren't in Hollywood," Cameron said in an interview published on June 6 by the Naperville Sun, responding to whether he feels lonely or not. "When I look and see the opportunities I have here in Hollywood to spread some light and some life in a place that is notorious for exporting so much moral filth and darkness, it's exciting."

When asked about the audience for Christian films he replied:
"People came to see it because they are really getting something out of it that they value. Why they don’t make more movies like that, I have no idea. But I’m not going to sit around and wait for them to figure it out. I’m going to make them myself."
Cameron added that he regularly prays not only for his former "Growing Pains" co-stars, but for everyone.  "I pray for everybody that I know. I pray for people that I don't know. I pray not just for my family but for my TV family. Who couldn't use blessings from heaven?" the actor said.

In 2012, Cameron stirred debate when he defended traditional Christian views on homosexuality on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," which provoked the criticism of a number of Hollywood stars.

"Marriage was defined by God a long time ago," Cameron said. "[It's] almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve – one man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage."

In response, actress Roseanne Barr tweeted: "kirk or kurt or whatever Cameron is an accomplice to murder with his hate speech. so is rick warren. Their peers r killing gays in Uganda."

Other Hollywood stars like Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Craig Ferguson, Debra Messing and Kristin Chenoweth all criticized Cameron, with Alan Thicke, who played Cameron's on-screen father in "Growing Pains," tweeting: "I'm getting [Cameron] some new books. The Old Testament simply can't be expected to explain everything."