Monday, May 16, 2016

Royal Tailor's Tauren Wells Goes Solo

Tauren Wells is best known as the energetic frontman of pop group Royal Tailor, but now, he wants to also be known as a Father, husband, preacher, teacher, and yes--musician.

In September, we learned that Wells had gone solo.  On Friday, he released his first new music since 2013:  "Undefeated" featuring rapper KB. The massively popular Dude Perfect--which has used Royal Tailor music before--got wind of the new music and insisted upon using it for their upcoming "World Records" video which released Friday.

"We knew that 'Undefeated,' even before we finished writing it, was definitely a song Dude Perfect could use," Wells said in an exclusive interview with NewReleaseToday. "I'm super pumped. It slams. I really feel like it's a strong first move for people to listen and experience [my new music]."

"Undefeated" hit iTunes on Friday, concurrent with the release of Dude Perfect's video featuring the song.  Listen to the song here:



Recently re-signed to Provident Label Group as a solo act, Wells is gearing up for a radio single release in August, a six-song EP early this fall and a full-length project in early 2017.

Royal Tailor rose to critical acclaim, garnering two GRAMMY nominations, as well as spots on large national tours, including Winter Jam and the Rock & Worship Roadshow.

"The band was successful, by our measures of success," Wells told NRT. "It was doing well, still growing. I felt like we had just put out our best album. Things were great, relationally, and obviously we're best friends. But to be honest, we were so tired."

Playing around 150 shows per year, Wells--a new father--found the demands of being a full-time touring artist at odds with a growing number of competing callings.

"My primary calling is to be a father in my home, a husband to my wife, to be present. My dad was always present, and I know that's a gift. Another thing I'm called to is my local church. I was so caught up and involved in serving others all over the world that I was missing the opportunity to serve right in my own city. I just got more and more uncomfortable with demands on the road."

Feeling burned out and confused, Wells said he had told one of his mentors that he was ready to stop doing music altogether, but was encouraged to pray and explore what the ideal artist situation could be for his priorities.

"I started thinking and talking with people close to me about reimagining how I could serve people with music and how I balance everything," he said. And that process of thinking and praying led him to a difficult conclusion of ending the Royal Tailor chapter in his life.

"When it came time to make that call, it was really hard, and I think it took the guys by surprise," Wells said. "Obviously that can never go well, but what I can say is that we all certainly want what's best for each other."

Royal Tailor played its last show together in Anchorage, Alaska, on August 6, 2015, and Wells said the only people who knew it was their last show were the four guys on the stage.

"It was so hard--literally, the hardest decision that I've ever had to make," he said. "I really want to emphasize how amazing the Royal Tailor journey was for me. You know, we had known each other since college, so it was a big deal that we were able to do this together, do the things we were able to experience together."

Wells said that while he has heard no plans to keep Royal Tailor going, the three other members of the band have found other creative outlets.

"Where Royal Tailor was at, it was also a good time to use it as a catalyst to step into something new," he said. "And now those guys are playing with country artists and writing songs and Blake [Hubbard] and Jarrod [Ingram] have become this production duo with cuts on NF's new album. They're doing very well making their own paths, and I celebrate that."

read full article