Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lecrae Talks of Sleepless Nights & Impacting Culture

Award-winning, bestselling rapper, Lecrae believes he, and other Christians, can impact culture simply by being engaged and demonstrating what "redemption has done" in a Christian's life, instead of creating sub-cultures or living life in a bubble.

A recent conversation with Ed Stetzer also touched on a comment Lecrae previously made in response to whether he views himself as a Christian rapper: "I am a Christian. I am a rapper. But Christian is my faith, not my genre."

Saying he knows such a statement "goes against the grain of cultural Christianity," Lecrae added: "We have to be careful with terms like 'Christian' and 'Gospel.'" He suggested that limiting those labels to simply a genre of music does a "disservice" to the Christian message of salvation in Jesus Christ.

"Christian is an identifying mark. It says I identify myself with Christ, I'm a follower of Christ," he emphasized. "I'd rather you not put the tag or the label 'Christian' on me (simply) because I say so." The rapper added that he welcomes the title "Christian" being applied to him if his character warrants it, but not simply because of the type of music he creates.

Read full article