Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The New Life of a Newsboy

After a long tenure of heading up the Newsboys, Peter Furler stepped away from non-stop touring, sold much of what he owned – cars, home, his shares in Inpop Records, a label he’d co-founded in 1999 that launched the careers of such notables as Superchick, Mat Kearney, Newworldson, Shane & Shane, among others – moved to the Gulf of Florida and took time to reflect, express himself through visual art, surf and play music just for pure enjoyment.

“I didn’t have a clue what I was doing next,” Furler reflects. “I’d been doing 100-plus shows a year, writing, then finishing a record for more than a decade. It was good, but it was a merry-go-round that was never going to stop.

So why a new record after leaving the Newsboys?

Although initially not planning to release any of the new music created during this time, the result of this redefining period led to the most joyful and uplifting music of Furler’s career.

“The songs never really stopped. They kept coming,” Furler says. “I’d take a long walk, and a song would come into my head… There is a fire shut up in my bones that I have not been able to hold in since I was a child. For me, I find its release through melody and testimony.”

Read the full article here.