Monday, March 2, 2009

Radio Legend Paul Harvey Passes Away

Paul Harvey, who captivated millions of American listeners for nearly six decades with his radio news reports and conservative commentaries, died Saturday. He was 90.

A 2005 recipient of a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush, radio pioneer Paul Harvey and his wife were inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame.

He personalized the news and shared heart-warming tales of average Americans and observations that evoked the heartland, family values and a love of God and country.

Harvey was unapologetic. "I have never pretended to objectivity," he once said. "I have a strong point of view and I share it with my listeners. I have no illusions about changing the world, but to the extent that I can I'd like to shelter your and my little corner of it."

He was renowned for his story-telling abilities and loved to intersperse them with humor. "Nudists in Lakeland, Florida, are upset that outsiders are sneaking a peek through a hole in their fence," he intoned. "The police promise to look into it."

With Paul Harvey's death, radio has lost one of its brightest luminaries.