Saturday, July 5, 2008

Melissa Ethridge - Christian artist?

In Rolling Stone magazine Melissa Etheridge revealed:

"In high school I had dreams of maybe having a career in Christian music." (Her first real gig was opening for Phil Keaggy in her hometown, and after the show she asked him what he thought of her set. "He basically said, 'I don't think there's a place for people like you in Christian music.' But he said it very nicely. I thought, 'Ok. They don't want me, I don't want them."


Keaggy heard of Etheridge's comments and responded:

"I believe that Melissa Etheridge is a gifted and dedicated artist who has proven herself to be creative and brave especially in light of her victory over cancer...

Well, first off, I hardly remember saying such a thing to her, at least in such a negative tone, as may be perceived. As I recall, in my own journey around that time, I had my own issues with the Christian Music Business as I saw it...

Melissa and I have never met since that day and I regret if she feels offended by what she thinks I said and meant.

As I look again at the words she claims I said, I wonder if, in reality, I was quite impressed with her music and delivery and thought perhaps CCM and the business of Christian music of that day would ever "get her"-- and be able to support her. Finally, I wish her all the best and applaud her fortitude throughout all the adversities of life."


On a related note, even Rolling Stone recognized Keaggy's prowess in an article on the top 25 underrated guitarists.