Thursday, June 11, 2015

Carrie Underwood Makes History with Something In the Water

New mother Carrie Underwood won big at Wednesday night's CMT Music Awards, taking home the Video of the Year award for her faith hit "Something in the Water," and she thanked fans while calling it a "blessing." The singer also made history by scoring her 13th CMT award, making her the most decorated CMT winner.

The country music star made her first public appearance since giving birth to her first child, Isaiah Michael Fisher, in February. And she was sure to recognize both him and her hockey player husband, Mike Fisher, when taking home three gongs, including Video of the Year for the fourth year in a row.

"This is my first show since little Isaiah has been in the world," a beaming Underwood told the star-studded crowd at Nashville, Tennessee's Bridgestone Arena. "He's probably napping on the bus right now, but I should definitely say that he has already inspired me so much, as well as my husband, Mike. Thank you guys! … This is such an amazing blessing."

Earlier this year, Underwood's baptism-inspired hit "Something in the Water" scored her a Grammy award for Best Solo Country Performance. She previously spoke about the recording process, sharing that she knew the song would be an instant hit.

"I knew while we were writing 'Something in the Water' that we really had something special," Underwood said. "This was one that, as it was happening, I was recording stuff on my phone. Like, 'Oh my gosh.' Like, 'Let's do it again. I can make that better. We can do this better.'"

The song is Underwood's longest-running Billboard No. 1 hit and the music video has been viewed on YouTube more than 12 million times since it was uploaded in November.