Monday, January 12, 2015

Carrie Underwood Finds Something in the Water

Country superstar Carrie Underwood is currently enjoying another hit with the single "Something In The Water." She has gone full circle in capping a decade of hits with another faith-inspired song. It's been a decade since the country star exploded onto the music scene with her winning appearance on American Idol in 2005 and her first big hit, 'Jesus, Take the Wheel'."

After winning the fourth season of American Idol in 2005 she has enjoyed staggering success, selling more than 64 million records globally, winning six Grammy Awards and had 14 number one country music hits. Now, with the release of "Something In The Water", she sings a song which speaks boldly about conversion, baptism and keeping the faith with lyrics which include the lines, "I followed that preacher man down to the river/And now I'm changed/And I'm stronger/There must've been something in the water." The song ends with an interpolation of "Amazing Grace" before Underwood powerfully sings out a portion of the hymn.

In an interview with the Today TV, she described "Something In The Water" as a "joyous, uplifting song about changing your life for the better and waking up and having that a-ha moment and your life being different from that moment forward." Talking to Esquire magazine she said, "After I released 'Jesus Take The Wheel' people started saying, 'Oh, it's kind of risky. You're coming out with a religious song.' I was thinking, 'Really?' I grew up in Oklahoma, I always had a close relationship with God. I never thought it was risky in the least. If anything, I thought it was the safest thing I could do."

"Something In The Water" is the first track on Carrie's latest double CD 'Greatest Hits: Decade #1' which also includes "Jesus, Take The Wheel" and her duet with Vince Gill, "How Great Thou Art".