Tuesday, February 4, 2014

‘Full House’ Actress Details How She Became a Christian and How Much Her Faith Impacts Her Career

Since taking the role of D.J. Tanner on the hit series “Full House” in 1987, Candace Cameron Bure has enjoyed a successful acting and writing career.

Bure, now 37, and the author of the new “Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose,” told TheBlaze that her Christian faith defines who she is, guiding her actions both on and off screen.

“My faith is my basis of who I am. Not only does it affect the choices I make career-wise, but it also effects the things that I want to do,” said Bure, who has three children and is married to retired NHL player Valeri Bure.

Bure said her faith has had both positive and negative effects on her career in Hollywood.

“I have a really wonderful core audience that has followed me since I was a little girl. They are rooting me on,” she said, noting that her fans know they can trust her work to be family-friendly. “In that way my faith really helps me.”

But Bure said she thinks she’s been overlooked for roles that she’d be comfortable with based on how people in the industry perceive her. In that way, her faith, to a degree, hinders her career.

Bure also made it clear that there’s a distinction to be made between being a Christian actress and an actress who is a Christian.

“I’m a Christian through and through. I’m not a Christian actress,” she said. “I’m an actress who is a Christian. I’ve actually done very few Christian films … I don’t need a Christian label slapped on what I do so that it complements my faith that way.”

“I would say I became a Christian or at least I asked Jesus to be the lord of my life at 12 years old.” Bure said. “Honestly that didn’t mean much to me. That certainly carried with me. I didn’t really understand all of it.”

It wasn’t until she was in her 20s that her faith really began to resonate. Her brother, “Growing Pains” actor Kirk Cameron, gave her a book — Ray Comfort’s “The Way of the Master” — and it was then, she said, that Christianity truly began to make sense to her.

“My whole thing was that I always thought I was such a good person … [I would think] I’m such a good person compared to other child stars,” Bure said. “I was a people pleaser. … I never really understood my need for Jesus, because I never really saw myself as a sinner.”

But Comfort’s book changed all that for her.

“I recognized for the first time, ‘Oh, I guess I’m not as good as I thought I was. I am good by worldly status … but God has a different standard,’” Bure said.

As for the “Full House” cast, the actress said that they all remain extremely close and that they have been like family since the show concluded.

“We’re all really close,” she said. “We hang out individually. We hang out together.”

Read full article