Thursday, January 8, 2009

'Bibleman' Fighting Back After Suicide Try

Willie Aames is back in charge. That's the message the "Charles in Charge" and "Eight Is Enough" star is sending now, after trying to kill himself last year on Thanksgiving Day.

Aames, 48, opens up in the current issue of Star magazine about the awful series of events that led him to try to take his own life.

After he declared bankruptcy and had his car repossessed, he says his actress wife of 22 years, Maylo Upon, left him. Willie then moved out of their Kansas home and rented a room in Los Angeles.

Aames who struggled with addictions before becoming a Christian, recounts: "I stole a bottle of Jack Daniel's from the guy I was renting the room from," Willie tells the magazine. "I'd been sober for 20 years when I took that first drink... It got so bad, I put a knife to my throat and cut myself in six places."

In a revealing interview with BeliefNet two years ago in conjunction with the publication of his memoir "Grace Is Enough," the couple has some disappointing revelations about their involvement with the Christian community.

They discuss Christians reactions to Willie's 'incident' on "Celebrity Fit Club" and his complicated relationship with Bibleman. Hopefully, Aames will realize that God's grace is still enough and will be restored to a better place.