Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Brooke Burns: In Hollywood, 'if you go to church you're crazy'

Brooke Burns said she learn something new every day from her work on "The Chase," a game show she hosts on GSN, alongside British quiz genius Mark "The Beast" Labbett.  Fox News spoke to the ex-"Baywatch" star about the show, raising her daughter and being a Christian in Hollywood.

"I grew up in a Christian home. My spirituality has evolved into my own personal faith. I definitely have a Christian background. It taught me to keep a worldview perspective on a work industry and that's how I view Hollywood. It's a very tiny piece of the world. It's not what life is about. Working in this industry is an occupation which is really fun, I enjoy myself. We get paid really well, I feel very lucky to be doing what I'm doing but it's not to me what life is about. My identity has been grounded in something greater than who I am or what I'm doing in Hollywood, for sure."

Fox News: It is not cool to talk about faith in Hollywood?
Burns: I grew up in Texas. My dad is in the oil business but he also did missionary work. In Texas if you don't go to church you're strange, in L.A. if you go to church you're crazy. That was something I had to learn. It's a choice. I should be able to believe in what I want to believe in and so should you. It shouldn't be an area of tension. It's interesting, a lot of times when you bring it up, it becomes as controversial, if not more, than bringing up politics.

Fox News: It must be hard raising your daughter in Hollywood...Religion must help with that.
Burns: I've always believed in having balance in life and if you feel your physical body, you have to feed your mind. If you're going to encourage young girls with emotional development, why not spiritual development as well? I think that's about being a well-rounded person. It's another aspect of being a whole human being. It can only help. I've gone through a lot of tough things in my life and definitely my faith has carried me through those things and given me not only a sense of purpose but it's helped me get back on the horse, given me a source of strength.

Read full article