Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kellan Lutz Watched ‘The Passion of the Christ’ Religiously to Prep for ‘Hercules’

Asked how he prepared to play the ancient mythical warrior in The Legend of Hercules, the star, Kellan Lutz, counted - among other things - his time spent on horseback during the shoot. “Riding a horse is a great workout for your legs, and for your core. And wielding the sword — I’m topless most of the time, so I’m able to do push-ups in between takes without sweating through the costume.”

Emotionally, Lutz credits his faith with helping him to connect to Hercules during some of the film’s more difficult scenes. “There’s a scene halfway through the movie that’s the crucifixion, where I ask my father Zeus for help. I’m a man of faith, so I would just religiously watch ‘The Passion of the Christ,’ and I’d use that.”

For the director, Renny Harlin, the story of Hercules had always been a source of fascination. “I grew up watching movies like ‘Spartacus’ and ‘Ben Hur,’ so to be able to make a movie like this, I think it’s every director’s dream.”

“If you look at all the modern comic book movies, they come from that mythology,” Harlin added. “And Hercules is the father of all superheroes.”